Pages

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Discovering our first post-baby house guest and the mommy-baby bond.

It's amazing what spending 24 hours a day, every day of your life, with a baby will do to your sense of self. Collin is no longer my baby, he is an extension of myself. When he is gone, a piece of me is missing. His needs and my own needs are one and the same. It is a bond that, until now, I had never experienced and can not explain. I was always timid around babies, until I had one for myself. Now, it feels so natural. I "get" Collin, and he "gets" me. Enough said.

We have a friend from New Orleans staying with us for the weekend, and it has been a really fun experience. We always offer our place for friends to stay while they are visiting, but I've never actually had anyone take us up on a night on the floor of a studio apartment with an infant ten feet away waking up to eat every few hours and a giant cat lurking over them. However, so far things have been working out really well. The guest in question is like another version of my husband, very gentle and soft-spoken and kind, and fits in with our family quite well. Collin has been so fascinated by him that he decided he would rather stay awake for hours to stare at him instead of sleep. Luckily, it's the weekend, so we could sleep in and no one got hurt. My husband and our friend left to go down town for a while, and Collin finally resigned himself to a few hours of slumber after fussing all morning.

In the meantime, I FINALLY got to take a long shower, and though it is only a matter of time before I am once again covered in sun block and spit-up, I will enjoy not smelling like a homeless person for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment